Residential Project, Groton, MA
The challenge for a residential project in Groton, MA.
Mold will grow in an attic typically due to problems with venting and insulation. This 1970s colonial home had ample insulation, but the homeowners were unaware that it had been improperly installed, blocking the already undersized soffit vents.
Contributing to the mold problem was an incorrectly installed bathroom fan blowing warm, moist air directly into the attic.
The first thing to do was to get rid of the mold.
Alpine used environmentally friendly dry ice blasting to remove the mold from the rafters and sheathing. The surfaces were then coated with a mold inhibitor to prevent regrowth.
Next, to fix the underlying problems that caused the mold in the first place, Alpine installed new soffit and ridge vents to ensure proper airflow through the attic. The Alpine crews vented the bathroom fan to the outside, and also insulated the exposed fan housing and flex duct to keep the heat in the house and out of the attic.
Dry ice blasting completely removes the mold without the use of harsh chemicals.
Alpine’s crews uses HEPA filtered negative air machines to contain the work area while ice blasting.
How Alpine shaped the solution.
The first thing to do was to get rid of the mold. Alpine treated the mold with an organic disinfectant, then coated the exposed underside of the roof with a mold inhibitor to prevent mold regrowth. Then, to fix the underlying problems that caused the mold in the first place, Alpine installed new soffit vents and roof ridge vents to ensure proper venting of the attic. We also reinstalled the bathroom vent fan so it vented outside, and insulated the exposed fan housing and flex duct to keep heat out of the attic.